By Alex Bridges
The following public meetings are scheduled this week:
The Board of Supervisors meets at 9 a.m. Tuesday in the government center at 600 N. Main St., Woodstock. The board plans to receive an update on the Alms House from People Inc. President Rob Goldsmith, a status report on upgrades to the county's emergency 911 system, and a presentation of a draft of the annual fiscal 2012 audit.
The board also plans to consider and possibly take action on:
- The Environmental Review Record for the Free Clinic project
- A special-use permit for a private airstrip for a small-engine plane on personal property owned by William and Maxine Pence that is located off Bethel Church Road . The Planning Commission recommended approval of the request with conditions by a 4-2 vote.
- An amendment to an existing, special-use permit and site plan for the property owner, Fort Valley Community Center and Library Inc., and leasees Shenandoah Mobile Company and New Cingular Wireless. The Planning Commission recommended approval by a 6-0 vote.
- A zoning map amendment and special-use permit for Bushong Holdings LLC. The Planning Commission recommended approval by a vote of 6-0 with conditions.
Supervisors plan to discuss a public hearing set for Jan. 8 on a resolution for the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation application for Transportation Alternative Funds for the Fishers Hill Battlefield restoration project.
Town Council meets at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at 101 Town Hall Ave. Council plans to hear reports from town committees and officials. Council also plans to discuss the possibility of using a future town newsletter to identify and describe all businesses located within Edinburg.
Town Council meets at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at 5901 Main St.
Town Council meets at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at 174 E. King St. for a presentation of a proposal by Planning Works. Council then meets at 7:30 p.m. for its regular meeting when members plan to appoint a town treasurer and possibly make appointments to other boards and commissions. Council then will hear an update on the project to upgrade the town's wastewater treatment plant.
The Tourism and Economic Development Committee meets at 5:30 p.m. Monday to hear a WebEx presentation from Buxton related to economic development.
The Warren County Airport Commission meets at 7 p.m. Monday at the Airport Terminal.
The Planning Commission meets at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Warren County Government Center. The commission will hold a public hearing on an amendment to the Warren County Comprehensive Plan to replace the existing document with a new, updated plan. The commission also plans to discuss future public hearings for:
- A conditional-use permit for a kennel at 387 Ritenour Hollow Road
- A request to amend the county zoning ordinance to add "industrial and construction equipment rental, repair and sales facility" as a use allowed by conditional-use permit in the industrial zoning district
- A request for a conditional-use permit for a facility at 280 Kelley Drive for rental, repair and sale of industrial and construction equipment
- A request to amend the zoning ordinance to allow nonconforming signs to be repaired only after the owner follows certain procedures but to not allow such repairs if the cost exceeds 50 percent of the value of the sign.
- The commission also will review a site plan for Applewood Plaza, to consist of a convenience store with a 12-seat food court for a Subway and a pizzeria on Va. 55 East.
The commission will hold a work session after its meeting to discuss:
- A request from Sunflower Cottage for a text amendment and conditional-use permit for a brewery and restaurant in the agricultural zoning district.
- A request from the Board of Supervisors to review the possible creation of a research and technology zone.
Town Council meets at 7 p.m. Monday in the Warren County Government Center. Council plans to discuss and take action on an amendment to town code on the extension moratorium areas pertaining to water and sewer connections. Council also plans to take action on a request to vacate an alley and to make an appointment to the Urban Forestry Advisory Commission.
The Public Works Committee meets at 8 a.m. Tuesday in the county government center.
The Parks and Recreation Commission meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday.
The Board of Supervisors convenes in closed session at 5 p.m. to discuss the county administrator's employment agreement. Supervisors then hold a work session at 5:30 p.m., during which they expect to hear a report from a representative of the Virginia Association of Counties pertaining to the potential devolution of road maintenance from the state to localities. Supervisors then plan to hold their regular meeting at 7:15 p.m.
Town Council meets at 7 p.m. Monday at 7875 Church St.
The Historic Preservation Commission meets at 5 p.m. Tuesday.
The Town Council Personnel Committee at 6 p.m. Tuesday
The Planning Commission meets at 6 p.m. Tuesday.