Daily Staff Report
A fire linked to overloaded wiring forced Frederick County residents from their home Friday morning.
Emergency dispatchers received a call of a residential structure fire at 869 Green Spring Road just before 7 a.m., according to a press release from the Frederick County Fire and Rescue Department. The stone building dates to 1879 and includes an addition, the release notes.
Crews began to arrive at 7:04 a.m. and members encountered heavy smoke and fire on both the first and second floors of the house, the release states. Strong winds and below-freezing temperatures hindered the firefighters' ability to control the blaze, according to the release. Crews did gain control of the fire within approximately 20 minutes. Firefighters extinguished the fire after about two hours on the scene. Crews conducted overhaul of the building approximately an hour later.
No residents or emergency responders reported injuries, the release states.
Fire officials declared the structure a total loss and estimated the damage at approximately $75,000. Workers with the local chapter of the American Red Cross responded to assist the occupants with temporary housing.
The home's electrical system overloaded and caused the wiring inside a wall to overheat, according to the release. The space between the walls then caught fire. High winds in the area fueled the flames and caused the fire to move fast, the release states.
Crews from Clear Brook, Round Hill, Gainesboro and Reynolds Store Volunteer Fire and Rescue Companies, along with Frederick County Battalion 10 Duty Officer and the Fire Marshal's Office responded. Firefighters from Clarke County and Berkeley County, W.Va., also assisted.