Winchester authorities have identified David A. Moats, 53, as the man who died in a house fire at 926 Woodstock Lane on Sunday afternoon.
A news release from the Fire and Rescue Department said firefighters found Moats dead in a bathroom after they arrived at his single story ranch style home.
Crews were dispatched around 1:06 p.m. and reported fire coming from the front windows of the house. Two other occupants, a male and female, escaped the residence and were taken to Winchester Medical Center where they were treated for possible smoke inhalation, according to the release.
Authorities said Moats was overcome by smoke before he could escape.
Investigators determined the fire began accidentally when one of the occupants attempted to light a cigarette while wearing home oxygen equipment. The fire spread quickly to furniture and was fueled by the flow of oxygen in use, according to the news release.
Authorities warned the public that fire burns hotter and faster around high concentrations of oxygen and urged people not to smoke while using medical oxygen or in the presence of medical oxygen used by others.