Daily staff report
The Virginia Department of Transportation plans to hold a public information meeting next week on a proposal to widen Va. 277 in the Stephens City area.
VDOT intends to widen Va. 277 (Fairfax Pike) between the northbound ramps of Interstate 81 to 0.3 miles east of Warrior Drive. The project aims to provide additional room for traffic and to improve the safety and connectivity of the regional road system.
The meeting will be held from 4-7 p.m. Thursday at Robert E. Aylor Middle School, 901 Aylor Road, Stephens City. VDOT officials and designers will be on hand to discuss the project. Those interested may submit written comments at, or within 10 days following the meeting to Chris Colson, P.E., Virginia Department of Transportation, 811 Commerce Road, Staunton, Va. 24401-9029. A court reporter will be at the meeting to record oral comments.
VDOT has funded the $33 million project with state and federal sources. The estimated cost includes $23 million for construction, $6.8 million to acquire rights of way and $2.9 million for preliminary engineering.
The project includes:
• The construction of four, thru-lanes from the interstate ramps to Double Church Road with a center median of either raised surface or stripes.
Improvements at the intersection with Warrior Drive such as additional turn-lane space and enhanced pedestrian features.
• A sidewalk on the north side of Va. 277 from I-81 to Warrior Drive.
• A shared-used path on the south side of Va. 277 between Stickley Drive and Double Church Road.
• The relocation of Aylor Road to the east to align with the current Stickley Drive.
• The removal of the traffic signal at Town Run Lane.
• The relocation of VDOT Lane to the west to align with the Food Lion shopping center entrance.
• The installation of a new traffic signal at the entrance of the Food Lion shopping center.
Construction is scheduled to begin in 2016.
VDOT's Staunton District covers the counties of Alleghany, Augusta, Bath, Clarke, Frederick, Highland, Page, Rockbridge, Rockingham, Shenandoah and Warren.
Contact staff writer Alex Bridges at 540-465-5137 ext. 125, or firstname.lastname@example.org