By Ryan Cornell
A natural gas leak in the Apple Blossom Mall resulting from inclement weather closed the Winchester mall to the public on Monday morning.
Amy Simmons, marketing coordinator for the city, said the storm rolled through at about 8:30 a.m.
"When the high winds knocked over the air vents on the roof of the building, it caused some gas lines to break," she said on Monday evening.
She said people reported the leak to 911 after smelling the chemicals used to detect natural gas.
The mall was evacuated and the Winchester Fire and Rescue Department responded to the scene.
The Mall was reopened at about 12:30 p.m.
Contact staff writer Ryan Cornell at 540-465-5137 ext. 164, or firstname.lastname@example.org