NVDAILY.COM | Local News

Posted October 28, 2013 | comments Leave a comment

Trial of accused home invader rescheduled

By Joe Beck

The trial of Sean Thomas Hall, accused in the home invasion of an elderly Strasburg woman, was postponed Monday and a new attorney appointed to represent him.

The bench trial was postponed until 9 a.m. Dec. 13 to give the new defense attorney, Bradley Pollack of Woodstock, time to prepare.

Pollack said afterward he was appointed because Hall's first attorney, assistant public defender Anthony Harrer, formerly represented a someone who was scheduled to be called as a witness for the prosecution.

Authorities accuse Hall, 22, whose last address was 715 Cappon Road, Strasburg, of breaking into the home of Eleanor Miller, 83, of South Funk Street in the early morning hours of March 29. Police say Hall tied her up, covered her head and roamed freely through the house for more than hour, taking jewelry and other valuables before he left.

Police arrested Hall at his home about two weeks later and took him to the Shenandoah County Jail, where he has remained since.

Hall has pleaded not guilty to two burglary-related counts, abduction by force, stealing property with intent to sell, grand larceny and embezzlement.

Strasburg Police Chief Tim Sutherly has said that Hall had been performing chores intermittently around Miller's home for years before the crime.

Sutherly said Hall had also broken into Miller's home on Jan. 8.

Pollack said a plea bargain remained a possibility in the case.

"A deal is always possible, but I've got to convince the commonwealth to take it," Pollack said. "Right now, they're prosecuting him for a half dozen serious felonies, but we're always looking to cut a deal."


Copyright © The Northern Virginia Daily | nvdaily.com | 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657 | (800) 296-5137