The following public meetings are scheduled this week:
The Board of Supervisors holds a joint meeting with the School Board at 4 p.m. Monday at the Triplett Business and Technical Institute, 6375 S. Main St., Mount Jackson. The School Board will give an update on its strategic planning. New supervisors and School Board members will be introduced.
The Board of Supervisors holds a joint meeting with the Strasburg Town Council to discuss annexation at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the Emergency Operations Center room in the Department of Fire and Rescue, 600 N. Main St., Woodstock. The panels will hear a presentation on the Joint Land-Use Plan for the Northern Shenandoah Industrial and Business Park. Members then will discuss the plan and a related resolution.
The Board of Supervisors holds its regular meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the boardroom. The board plans to hold public hearings on:
- An application to the Virginia Department of Transportation under the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century and the Transportation Alternatives Program. The county is applying on behalf of the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation for $350,000 for battlefield identification, interpretation, rehabilitation, and to protect the historic transportation corridors and facilities. The foundation will provide the local match of $70,000.
- An ordinance that would allow the county to seek reimbursement for the costs of cleaning up methamphetamine labs
- An ordinance pertaining to the employment of off-duty law-enforcement officers
The board also plans to discuss and/or consider:
- A change to the service agreement with Edward and Jacqueline Dove for haymaking on county property off Turkey Knob Road in the Mount Jackson Industrial Park
- A pump-and-haul permit to install a restroom at Larkins Grocery Store on Va. 42
- A revision to the holiday schedule for the landfill and convenience sites
- Pending construction of the Artz Road bridge
- A resolution reaffirming supervisors' opposition to House Bill 1430
Supervisors then plan to meet in closed session to discuss appointments to the Social Services Board, Community Policy Management Team, Industrial Development Authority, Parks and Recreation Advisory Board and the Northern Shenandoah Valley Regional Commission.
The Town Council Finance and Personnel Committee meets at 5:30 p.m. Monday.
The Town Council Infrastructure Committee meets at 6:45 p.m. Monday. The panel plans to discuss:
- The Ash Street Community Development Block Grant project and the Downtown Streetscape
- Circulation on the east side of town in relation to East Washington Street
- The sidewalk plan
- A review of the 2025 VDOT Transportation Plan
- Updates on the water treatment and wastewater treatment plant projects
- A follow-up on a letter from Shentel concerning services
- Access to water on South Virginia Street
- Collection options in the town's trash and recycling contract
The Architectural Review Board meets at 4 p.m. Tuesday. The board plans to discuss sign regulations in the draft of the Unified Development Ordinance.
The Ordinance Committee and the Planning Commission hold a joint meeting at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. The panels plan to discuss the zoning district map as it pertains to x-transitional zoning and small-boundary adjustments, sign regulations and nonconformities in the draft of the Unified Development Ordinance. The panels also plan to discuss a suggested timeline for the completion of the Unified Development Ordinance and its presentation to Town Council.
Town Council meets at 7 p.m. Monday. Council plans to:
- Make appointments to the Board of Architectural Review
- Approve a bid for a sewer-line replacement on Fletcher Street
- Authorize staff to advertise the newly created community development director position
Council then plans to hold a work session to discuss:
- Distribution of funds from the Department of Motor Vehicles Animal Friendly license plates
- Writing off bad debt
- Capital goals for the fiscal 2015 budget
- The community development director position
Council plans to meet in closed session to discuss disposition of town property and investment of public money.
The Transportation Committee meets at 8:30 a.m. Monday in the first-floor conference room of the county administration building, 107 N. Kent St. The committee plans to discuss a request for a speed study on Cedar Creek Grade and to hear updates on county and VDOT projects.
The Planning Commission meets at 7 p.m. Monday.
The Parks and Recreation Committee meets at 5 p.m. Monday.
The Planning Commission meets at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.