NVDAILY.COM | Local News

Posted November 22, 2013 | comments Leave a comment

Blaze causes damage

By Ryan Cornell

A small house fire at 612 Midland Ave. in Front Royal early this morning has left two occupants temporarily displaced and caused damage amounting to about $25,000.

Fire Marshal Gerry Maiatico, with the Warren County Department of Fire and Rescue Services, said the fire was first reported at midnight by a neighbor who noticed flames coming from the roof and called 911.

He said the neighbor alerted the two residents of the home, who had been sleeping.

"The occupants tried to put it out with a garden hose, which actually prevented a larger amount of damage." Maiatico said, adding that they exited the home safely with no injuries.

Three crews from Warren County Fire and Rescue arrived at the scene and brought the fire under control in about 30 minutes, he said.

He said an investigation determined that the fire resulted from a failure in the home's chimney liner. The two occupants were using a woodstove to heat the home.

"The interior section of the chimney had a hole in it, which allowed the heat and flames to go into the wall assembly," Maiatico said.

He said the fire started in the exterior wall and spread to the roof and attic.

Maiatico said the inside of the home didn't sustain much damage, though the occupants are temporarily displaced until the wall is repaired.

Contact staff writer Ryan Cornell at 540-465-5137 ext. 164, or rcornell@nvdaily.com


Copyright © The Northern Virginia Daily | nvdaily.com | 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657 | (800) 296-5137