NVDAILY.COM | Local News
Posted December 20, 2013 | Leave a comment
Wilkins Farm, a late 18th century farmstead west of Edinburg, is among the 12 historic sites recently added to the Virginia Landmarks Register. According to the Department of Historic Resources, the farm was owned and developed by three different German families and stretches back to 1776 as a single-room log dwelling. The Wilkins family occupied the farm from 1824 until 2003. The property was the boyhood home of Emanuel Wilkins, a Shenandoah Valley artist who practiced the fraktur tradition of stylized lettering and illuminated illustration developed by German immigrants in Pennsylvania.
Lord Fairfax Community College received reaffirmation of accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges last week after the association visited the college in September. The accreditation will last for another five years.
The Virginia Farm Bureau has named Mark Khatib, of Centreville, executive vice president and general manager of its health care companies. Khatib, who has served as director of the Employee Benefits Corporation of America since 2003 and vice president since 2012, started his new position on Dec. 1.
J. Calvin Parris, state executive director of the Virginia Farm Service Agency, has announced that producers have until Jan. 15 to report crops that have a Nov. 15, 2013, reporting deadline without paying a late-file fee. Crops under this waiver include native and improved grasses intended for grazing or haying. For questions regarding crop certification and crop loss reports, please contact your local FSA county office.
Copyright © The Northern Virginia Daily | nvdaily.com | 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657 | (800) 296-5137