NVDAILY.COM | Local News

Posted December 19, 2013 | comments Leave a comment

Fire damages Strasburg home

By Katie Demeria

A fire in Strasburg Wednesday morning partially destroyed a two-family home.

Both families living in the 357 Lee St. residence escaped without injury. The fire started in the basement and consumed several pieces of furniture.

Tim Williams, Shenandoah County Fire and Rescue's operations chief, said that the house is not livable now due to acrylic smoke that spread throughout the home, but once it is cleaned the families will be able to resume their residence.

Williams said that it did not take long for crews to stop the fire.

"They knocked it down very quickly;, they made a real good attack on the fire," Williams said.

Strasburg Fire Department, Toms Brook Volunteer Fire Department, Middleown Volunteer Fire and Rescue and Shenandoah County Fire and Rescue all responded to the scene.

The upstairs occupants were able to make living arrangements for themselves, but the family living in the basement has received aid from the American Red Cross, Williams said.

Though the home had a smoke detector, it was rendered inoperable.

Williams encouraged local residents to reach out to the Shenandoah Fire and Rescue Department if they need help keeping an operating smoke detector in their homes.

Contact staff writer Katie Demeria at 540-465-5137 ext. 155, or kdemeria@nvdaily.com


Copyright © The Northern Virginia Daily | nvdaily.com | 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657 | (800) 296-5137