The following public meetings are scheduled this week:
The Board of Supervisors meets at 9 a.m. today. The board plans to consider:
- A resolution of support for an application by the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation to the Virginia Department of Transportation for funding under the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act
- An ordinance pertaining to the employment of off-duty officers
- An ordinance pertaining to methamphetamine lab cleanup
- A resolution to approve the construction of a one-lane bridge on Va. 663 (Artz Road)
- A resolution re-affirming opposition to House Bill 1430 (the Right to Farm Act)
The board plans to present employee service awards and hear presentations on the new county website and on a report about landfill groundwater.
Supervisors then plan to consider:
- A processing area for arrested subjects and additional sheriff's deputies
- A locality agreement with the Lord Fairfax Health District of the Virginia Department of Health
- A resolution supporting first-day introduction requirements for bills proposed to the General Assembly
- An additional holiday for county employees on Dec. 23
The School Board meets at 7 p.m. Thursday.
Town Council meets at 7:30 p.m. today at 101 Town Hall Ave. Council plans to hear reports from committees. Council also plans to discuss the R-1 residential district of the zoning ordinance.
Town Council meets at 7:30 p.m. today at 5901 Main St. Council will hold a public hearing on an ordinance to add a new section on the drought and low-water supply response to the town code. Council also will consider:
- A special-use permit requested by Hammond Real Estate on behalf of Family Dollar Store to build a new store at 5450 Main St., with related parking, landscaping and screening
- The ordinance to add the drought and low-water supply response to the town code
Council plans to hear a presentation on a town sidewalk project. Council may approve the fiscal 2013 audit report. Council also will hear introductions and set public hearings for Jan. 6 on:
- A request by Bowman Andros to rezone property at 10287 Old Valley Pike from residential to limited industrial
- A special-use permit requested by Holtzman Corp. for its new headquarters building
Town Council meets at 7:30 p.m. today at town hall, 174 E. King St. Council plans to consider:
- A resolution of support for a requirement that bills filed in the General Assembly with local mandates also come with fiscal impact reports
- An ordinance to annex land in the North Shenandoah Industrial and Business Park
- A resolution to award a contract for the upgrade to the town's wastewater treatment plant and the relocation of the Department of Public Works offices
The Ordinance Committee and Planning Commission hold a joint meeting at 7:30 p.m. Thursday. The panels will discuss chapters of the proposed Unified Development Ordinance on sign regulations and nonformities.
Town Council meets at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Toms Brook Fire Hall.
The Planning Commission holds a work session at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the county government center, 220 N. Commerce St., to review the proposed list of projects for the fiscal 2015 Capital Improvements Plan. The commission then holds its regular meeting at 7 p.m. when members will discuss and set for public hearing a conditional-use permit for a commercial riding stable facility at 327 Hidden Valley Lane.
The School Board meets at 7 p.m. Thursday.
The Social Services Board meets at 10:30 a.m. today.
The Parks and Recreation Commission meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday.
The Russell 150 Community Development Authority meets at 2 p.m. Wednesday in the closed session room of the administration building, 107 N. Kent St. The authority board plans to meet in closed session to consult with legal counsel about pending and possible litigation over outstanding special assessments on property in the Russell 150 project area. In open session, the board may consider an amendment to the original memorandum of understanding among the authority, property owners and the county concerning the imposition and collection of special assessments.
The Board of Supervisors meets at 5 p.m. Wednesday to hold a closed session on the Russell 150 special assessments issue. Supervisors then plan to hold a work session with the School Board at 5:45 p.m. Supervisors will convene their regular meeting at 7 p.m. The board will hold public hearings on:
- A 12-month, outdoor festival permit request for the Belle Grove Plantation
- A request from Carmeuse Lime & Stone Inc. for a waiver from the height requirements on structures in order to build a 200-foot-tall kiln at its existing Clear Brook quarry
- A request by Painter-Lewis PLC to rezone 51.26 acres in the Madison Village project at Front Royal Pike and Airport Road
The board also plans to consider a revision to proffers in the Silver Lake LLC project and a revised master development plan for The Townes at Tasker. They also plan to consider a request for a pump-and-haul permit at 186 Star Tannery Road.