Flames damage Strasburg home

By Katie Demeria

An accidental fire damaged a home in Strasburg on Saturday morning, according to Shenandoah County Fire and Rescue’s Public Information Officer John Collins.

Rescue crews were called to the 867 Colley Block residence at 6:15 a.m. by the home’s occupants, who were aware of the flames before there was enough smoke to alert their smoke detector, Collins said.

The flames were under control in less than an hour, he added, but the cold weather made the job a little more difficult.

“My car said it was 9 degrees out there,” Collins said. “Some hoses were freezing on the road, and it certainly didn’t make the firefighting any easier.”

According to Collins, the blaze started in the attic. Most of the damage, though, was probably caused by the overhaul, he added, which is when rescue workers open walls in the building to make sure the smoke did not spread.

It is unclear whether or not that damage will prevent the family from immediately resuming residence, especially with the cold weather the area has been experiencing.

“They cut a hole in the eave of the house, so that caused most of the damage,” Collins said. “The family did have a place they could go, and Red Cross was not called.”

Strasburg Volunteer Rescue, Strasburg Fire Department, Middletown Fire Department, Toms Brook Fire Department, Woodstock Fire Department and Shenandoah County Fire and Rescue responded to the scene.

Contact staff writer Katie Demeria at 540-465-5137 ext. 155, or kdemeria@nvdaily.com

Comment Policy

Print This Article

Fire & Rescue

Local News