Defendant had earlier felony charge on same day as shooting

By Joe Beck

WOODSTOCK — A Fort Valley man facing a charge of voluntary manslaughter stemming from a shooting Monday night at his home was released from custody hours earlier the same day after he was charged with a non-violent felony.

Daniel Scott Harvey, 33, of 600 Stephens Lane, Fort Valley, was arrested Monday and charged with felony shoplifting of merchandise valued at more than $200, according to records in Warren County General District Court. He was later released on $2,500 unsecured bond.

Harvey made an initial appearance Wednesday before Shenandoah County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Judge William H. Logan. Authorities have accused Harvey of shooting Harry Grant Nelson III, 36, of Winchester, during a confrontation at Harvey’s home around 7:18 p.m. Monday.

Nelson was pronounced dead from a gunshot wound about an hour later at Shenandoah Memorial Hospital.

Logan cited the Warren County charge against Harvey and Harvey’s release on bond as one of the reasons for ordering the defendant held without bond on the Shenandoah County charge.

Logan cited the seriousness of the alleged shooting offense as the other reason for ordering Harvey held without bond.

Harvey appeared before Logan in a jail uniform. Harvey bore dark marks on his forehead, face and elbow and walked gingerly across the courtroom. Sheriff’s Office officials say Harvey received injuries after the shooting as a result of an altercation with several people who had been with Nelson at Harvey’s home.

“Mr. Harvey, you’re charged with voluntary manslaughter in the killing of Harry Grant Nelson,” Logan told him.

Harvey said he was receiving Supplemental Security Income, a federal program created to help aging, blind and disabled people with little or no income.

Logan said he would appoint a public defender and scheduled another court date for 9 a.m. April 7.

The criminal complaint in Warren County General District Court states that a sheriff’s deputy answered a call from Wal-Mart where employees involved in store security said they had spotted a man opening items, placing them in a fishing tackle box and removing magnetic anti-theft devices from the items.

The complaint states a total of 29 items valued at $405 was taken in the incident.

Harvey was arrested hours after the shoplifting incident was reported.

Contact staff writer Joe Beck at 540-465-5137 ext. 142, or jbeck@nvdaily.com