Daily staff report
A fire damaged a home in New Market on Sunday afternoon.
Firefighters responded to a call at 151 Shady Lane to find flames coming from the roof of a single-story home, said John Collins, a spokesman for the Shenandoah County Department of Fire and Rescue.
No one was inside the house when the fire started, Collins said. A tenant discovered the fire when she came home, Collins said.
The fire, which was reported just before 2:15 p.m., displaced two adults and one teenager who live in the home. The tenants did not have renters insurance.
Fire officials determined that food left unattended on a stove caused the blaze. The fire caused extensive damage to the kitchen and destroyed the roof. Water and smoke left damage throughout the house.
Crews from fire companies in New Market, Timberville, Broadway, Mount Jackson, Orkney Springs and Woodstock responded to the fire along with the county department.
Emergency responders from Edinburg filled in at New Market. Virginia state police and the New Market Police Department aided in traffic control.