By Joe Beck
Front Royal firefighters were kept busy late Sunday night and early Monday morning with a pair of fires that broke out within a few hours of each other.
The first fire at 341 Osage St. forced the evacuation of three adults from two apartments. No one was injured.
Chief Richard E. Mabie said the fire, first called in at about 11:40 p.m., was caused by "some shortage of electrical wires in the wall" of a downstairs apartment.
"It was really a small fire extinguished by extinguisher," Mabie said, adding, "The firefighters had to remove some smoke. They had to so by digging into the wall to get at the wires.
Mabie estimated the damage at about $5,000.
"Because we had to cut power to the building, the occupants couldn't stay," Mabie said. "They were displaced."
The second fire around 2 a.m. Monday left $20,000 to $25,000 damage at the student center at Christiandom College, Mabie said.
Mabie said the fire was also caused by electrical wiring problems.
"It was centered around electrical service that came into the building. It was burning mulch, burning wires and burning up the side of the building," Mabie said. "It actually made it into the building some. We got there just in time to keep it from burning onto the roof or it would have been worse than it was."
Mabie said most of the damage was limited to a stairwell. Most of the building remains usable but restoring electrical service to the building will take an undetermined amount of time.
Contact staff writer Joe Beck at 540-465-5137 ext. 142, or firstname.lastname@example.org