New Market unveils new website
By Ryan Cornell
NEW MARKET — One councilman’s campaign promise is meeting its word.
Tim Palmer, New Market councilman and chairman of the economic development committee, has been focused on updating the town’s website since before he was elected.
“When I ran for Town Council two years ago, one of the things that I highlighted in my campaigning was the development of a new website,” he said following a council meeting Monday.
“Because in the past it was so hard to find information,” he added. “People would sort of reluctantly go to it.”
The redesigned website, newmarketvirginia.com, is now up and running and includes information on various service rates, Town Council meeting agendas and minutes, codes and ordinances, contact information for council members, upcoming events and links to local organizations and attractions.
Palmer said the website has been open to the public within the past six weeks and cost about $15,000, which was paid to developer BlueKey Web Solutions Inc.
BlueKey also designed and created the websites for Skyline Drive and the town of Strasburg.
Palmer said the new site is more flexible and is capable of being modified and constantly updated.
“It’s a very positive thing for the town,” Palmer said. “And it’ll be around for a minimum of five years, maybe 10 years, because it’s something that can be modified and updated and improved without going back to a professional developer for their expertise.”
At its meeting, Town Council also:
- Approved American Disposal Services as its trash removal contractor for the next three years
- Approved a resolution setting the employer contribution rate for the Virginia Retirement System at 10.05 percent
- Approved a conditional use permit to construct two additional apartment units at 387 W. Old Cross Road
- Approved a conditional use permit to construct an assisted living facility at 447 W. Old Cross Road
- Approved a conditional use permit for Steve Roberts to operate a machinery sales and service business at 118 Stonewall St.
New Market Mayor Douglas Bradley said the council is continuing to interview candidates for the town manager position.
Contact staff writer Ryan Cornell at 540-465-5137 ext. 164, or email@example.com
Print This Article