Daily staff report
A fire in a Front Royal home Wednesday morning sent a firefighter to the hospital and forced out the residents.
A crew from the Department of Fire and Rescue Services received a call at 3:40 a.m. for a structure fire at 341 Osage St. Units arrived four minutes later to find a lot of smoke coming from the second floor of a building consisting of two apartments, according to information from the department.
Firefighters quickly found the fire and extinguished the flames, containing the blaze to the second-floor apartment. A firefighter suffered lacerations while working on the scene. Responders took the firefighter to Warren Memorial Hospital for treatment.
The Fire Marshal's Office linked the blaze to an overheated appliance. The fire caused an estimated $20,000 damage to the apartment. Local Red Cross workers arrived to aid the apartment occupants forced from their home by the fire.
None of the few smoke alarms installed in the building had batteries, according to the department.