Front Royal home damaged by flames

By Katie Demeria

FRONT ROYAL — Fire and rescue crews responded to a fire Thursday that damaged the attic of a two-story home.

After being dispatched at around 2:20 p.m., Warren County Fire and Rescue Services Chief Richard Mabie said smoke was coming from the vents on the roof of the 308 Pine St. home when responders arrived on scene.

According to Mabie, the fire’s area of origin was around the home’s HVAC system in the attic.

“We have to go in and pull the ceiling down to get at it,” Mabie said, adding that crews were ensuring that no remaining embers were smoldering in the attic.

While it did not take long for firefighters to get the blaze under control — Mabie said they added water to the area within 10 minutes — the home’s older structure required laborious work from the 10 career firefighters and four volunteers who responded.

“We’re going to be here for a little while,” Mabie said at around 3 p.m.

The vinyl siding on the two-story home was placed on top of a stucco exterior, Mabie pointed out, which meant crews had to break down part of the wall to get to the ceiling.

The hot and humid weather did not make it much easier on responders, he added.

Owner C.W. Travis was outside when crews arrived, according to Mabie. Travis and his cousin were in the home when they smelled smoke.

“I have a good deal of stuff in that part of the house,” Travis said. The residence is a family home, he said, and he has been there his whole life.

Mabie said crews were able to cover up many of Travis’ items before breaking into the ceiling to protect them from further damage.

The Front Royal Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department, Linden Volunteer Fire Department, Rivermont Volunteer Fire Department and North Warren Volunteer Fire Department also responded to the scene.

Contact staff writer Katie Demeria at 540-465-5137 ext. 155, or

Comment Policy

Print This Article

Front Royal

Local News