New bail set for defendant in malicious wounding case

By Joe Beck

The last of a group of defendants facing charges stemming from a melee on Coal Mine Road on Sept. 5 had a $5,000 secured bond set Friday in Shenandoah County
General District Court.

Justin Tyler Biggers, 21, of 2999 Stony Creek Road, was returned to the RSW Regional Jail after Judge Amy Tisinger admonished him to stay away from four other individuals upon his release from jail. Biggers is charged with malicious wounding and assault and battery as part of a mob.

Authorities accuse Biggers and several co-defendants of attacking four other males after the two parties met at a residence at 398 Coal Mine Road. One of the victims, Michael Baughman, suffered a broken jaw during the attack, according to a criminal complaint. The Sheriff’s Office also reported that one of the other victims suffered a facial fracture.

Tisinger told Biggers to stay away from Baughman, John Funkhouser Jr., John Funkhouser III, and Danny Utterback as a condition of bail.

“Whatever happened here, let it rest now,” Tisinger said, “because you’re the one who’s going to suffer the consequences if it gets ramped up.”

Biggers’ attorney, Charles Ramsey, said after the hearing that the other adult defendants in the case — Joshua Thomas Ingle, 19, of Maurertown and Junior Edmond Lloyd Reynolds, 19, of 225 Bushy Ridge Drive, Star Tannery — have already been released on bail.

Tisinger set another court date for Ingle and Biggers for 10:30 a.m. on Dec. 12.

A criminal complaint states that Baughman and John Funkhouser II told Shenandoah County sheriff’s deputy A.N. Springer that Biggers had been sending threatening text messages on Sept. 5 to John Funkhouser III. The complaint states John Funkhouser Jr. and Baughman drove to 398 Coal Mine Road and met John Funkhouser III. The complaint states they went to the residence after Biggers sent another text stating he was on his way to the house of the mother of John Funkhouser III. The purpose of the meeting was to prevent an assault by Biggers on Funkhouser’s mother, according to the complaint.

Baughman and John Funkhouser Jr. arrived at the site and found Biggers, Ingle, Reynolds and a juvenile male already there, according to the criminal complaint. The complaint states that John Funkhouser II, John Funkhouser III and Baughman all reported that Reynolds “came after” John Funkhouser III, and the other alleged assailants grabbed a baseball bat, pipe and axe handle from a vehicle.

Baughman reported Biggers hit him in the mouth with the axe handle and then kicked him in the face after he fell to the ground, according to the complaint. The complaint states that John Funkhouser Jr. also said he fell to the ground after being hit in the head several times with an undetermined hard object. John Funkhouser Jr. stated that Ingle hit him several times. and Springer reported that John Funkhouser Jr. had multiple bruises on his face and a large knot on each side of his head, the complaint states.

John Funkhouser III reported that the juvenile with Biggers, Ingle and Reynolds tackled him and wrestled him to the ground, the complaint states.

Springer reported that the attack left Baughman with a cut upper lip and blood on his chin. Springer also said he saw several bruises all over John Funkhouser Jr.’s face and a large knot on each side of his head. Springer reported no marks on John Funkhouser III.

Contact staff writer Joe Beck at 540-465-5137 ext. 142, or jbeck@nvdaily.com