Halloween will be wet and chilly

By Henry Culvyhouse

The National Weather Service is recommending that trick-or-treaters take their umbrellas with them on Friday.

It will be partly sunny during the day on Friday, which is Halloween, with temperatures expected to peak in the mid 50s, but there’s a 40 percent chance of rain. During the evening, temperatures are expected to drop into the mid 30s, with a 60 percent chance of rain.

Carl Barnes, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Sterling, said the chance of rain during Halloween increases throughout the evening.

“Even if it’s not raining when you go out trick-or-treating, bring an umbrella, because as the night continues, so will the likelihood of rain,” Barnes said.

Saturday will be mostly cloudy, with highs in the mid 40s and a 40 percent chance of rain. Saturday night will be mostly cloudy, with lows dropping to the 30s.

Barnes said that while there has been no frost warning given for Saturday night yet, it is better to be safe than sorry.

“We’re expecting temperatures to drop to the 33-31 range,” Barnes said. “With temperatures approaching freezing like that, you probably want to bring your plants into the house or cover them up.”

According to Barnes, the drop in temperatures is a result of a low pressure pushing south to the west of the Shenandoah Valley. It is expected to go off shore near the Carolinas, then loop back up North.

Contact staff writer Henry Culvyhouse at 540-465-5137 ext. 184, or hculvyhouse@nvdaily.com

Comment Policy

Print This Article


Local News