House fire destroys part of Front Royal home

Fire gutted this Front Royal home off 16 West 4th Street on Monday morning. Fire Chief Richard E. Mabie of Warren County Fire and Rescue Services said no one was injured in the blaze, which caused about $30,000 in damage. Rich Cooley/Daily

A house fire Monday morning partially destroyed a single-family house at 116 W. Fourth St. in Front Royal.

Fire Chief Richard E. Mabie of Warren County Fire and Rescue Services said no one was injured. A pet dog escaped the fire when police opened a rear door to the home, Mabie said.

The fire, which started as a result of a malfunctioning electrical outlet connected by plug to a portable space heater, left $30,000 in damage, Mabie said.

Mabie said firefighters were sent to the scene at 10:16 a.m. and brought the fire under control at 10:31 a.m.

Mabie said Douglas Mopp, 58, the sole owner and occupant of the house, had left for work about two hours before the fire started and was reported by family members.

Mabie said in a news release the house will be uninhabitable “for an undetermined amount of time” during which Mopp will “receive assistance from family.”

“Structurally, the house is fine,” Mabie said in an interview. “Because of the heat and the smoke, most of the sheet rock, at least in the front half of the house, is going to need to be pulled and redone.

“A fair amount of furniture was destroyed and will have to be replaced.”

Fires related to space heaters and their electrical connections are common during the cold weather months, Mabie said.

“We already had one last week, and we put out a couple of prevention notices to the media for this time of year,” Mabie said.

Contact staff writer Joe Beck at 540-465-5137 ext. 142, or jbeck@nvdaily.com