Woman burned in kitchen fire

An 84-year-old woman from Mauertown was hospitalized Wednesday with what fire department officials described as serious burns from a flash fire in her kitchen.

John Collins, public information officer for the Shenandoah County Department of Fire and Rescue, said firefighters and ambulances were sent to 41 Saumsville Road after the county’s emergency communications center received a medical alert at about 8:35 a.m.

The resident told dispatchers who contacted her that she had been burned while preparing to cook on her kitchen stove.

The fire and rescue crews arrived to find the woman at the kitchen table, Collins said. She told firefighters and EMTs that the stove did not ignite at first when she turned it on, but a flash fire then erupted and spread to her clothing, Collins said.

“It was out by the time they got there,” Collins said of the fire. “My understanding it was a real quick flash of flame that caught her clothes on fire, and that was it.”

Collins said members of the ambulance crews called for a helicopter to airlift the woman, but poor weather prevented the aircraft from flying.

Collins said an ambulance from the Shenandoah County Department of Fire and Rescue took the woman to Rockingham Memorial Hospital in Harrisonburg.

Collins said the woman suffered serious injuries as a result of her burns.

An investigation by the Shenandoah County fire marshal concluded the fire was an accident stemming from the lighting of the stove. There was no serious smoke or fire damage to the house.

Fire and rescue crews responding to the scene included the Woodstock Fire Department, Toms Brook Volunteer Fire Department, Strasburg Fire Department, Mount Jackson Rescue and Fire Department and the Shenandoah County Department of Fire and Rescue.

Comment Policy

Print This Article

Fire & Rescue

Local News