Fadley resigns as Mount Jackson police chief

J.D. Fadley

Mount Jackson Police Chief J.D. Fadley resigned Thursday morning, less than a week after he was placed under a protective order that banned him from having any contact with a woman who said she was afraid of him.

Town manager Kevin Fauber disclosed Fadley’s resignation in a brief written statement. Fadley’s resignation is effective immediately.

Fauber announced Wednesday that Fadley had been placed on administrative leave without pay as a result of the criminal complaint filed against Fadley by Amy Atkison, the woman who obtained the protective order. Magistrate Judge Steven Shareff issued the order in response to Atkison’s complaint.

Town officials had earlier relieved Fadley of his duties for the duration of the protective order, which ran from Friday night to 11:59 p.m. Monday. Fauber said Fadley, 42, had been reprimanded and his service firearm confiscated while the protective order was in effect. Fadley returned to his regular police duties Tuesday, but was placed on leave again, this time without pay, after details of Atkison’s complaint came to light.

The criminal complaint contained information and details about Fadley’s interactions with Atkison, who resigned in December as an investigator with the Strasburg Police Department.

Atkison, 33, accused Fadley of waving a gun around her and threatening to kill himself. Atkison said Fadley also made unwanted visits to her home where he engaged in intense, protracted arguments with her as part of his efforts to restart a relationship with her. At one point, Fadley traveled to Pennsylvania where he left an unwanted package and message for Atkison at the home of Atkison’s mother, the complaint states. Fadley also mentioned the possibility of raping her, Atkison wrote.

“I am afraid to go home,” Atkison said in the complaint. “He left ‘Amy, I love you,’ signs on the doors of my house dated Dec. 31.”

Fadley’s resignation letter is dated Jan. 14, but he submitted it Thursday morning, Fauber said. The letter gives no reason for the resignation. Fauber said Fadley was not pressured to resign.

“He made the decision on his own and submitted it in person this morning,” Fauber said of Fadley.

The letter addressed to the mayor and town council reads:

“This is to formally tender my resignation as chief of police from Mount Jackson Police Department, effective immediately, Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2015.

Thank you for giving me an opportunity to be part of Mount Jackson Police Department. It was an honor to serve, protect and work for you and the people of Mount Jackson during my 16 years of tenure.”

Fadley did not return a phone message asking him for further comment.

Fauber said Wednesday that the town would be launching a “review and inquiry” into the details of the criminal complaint filed by Atkison, an action the town no longer plans to pursue.

“I think the resignation has resolved that matter,” Fauber said of the aborted investigation.

“I know he appreciated the opportunity to protect and work here for the town,” Fauber said of Fadley. “The mayor and the council and I thank him for his years of service and wish him the best.”

Police Sgt. Jeff Sterner, who was appointed acting chief on Wednesday, will continue in that job while the town searches for a new chief.

“It’s something we want to get started on pretty quickly,” Fauber said.

Contact staff writer Joe Beck at 540-465-5137 ext. 142, or jbeck@nvdaily.com