No one injured in floor collapse

This home at 591 Warren Ave. in Front Royal was condemned Sunday after a floor collapsed. Rich Cooley/Daily

FRONT ROYAL – A birthday party celebration ended abruptly Sunday afternoon when a floor inside a house at 509 Warren St. collapsed and fell into the basement.

Fire Chief Richard E. Mabie said no one was injured in the incident, but one person was evaluated by rescue workers and refused treatment.

Mabie could not identify any reason for the collapse. He said a county building official called to the scene condemned the building as unfit for further habitation. The official, David Beahm, could not be reach for comment.

Mabie estimated damage to the house at $30,000.

Firefighters were called to the scene at 3:52 p.m. Sunday. Mabie said fire crews secured electrical utilities and a stove after they arrived.

Mabie estimated 25 or 30 children and adults were standing on the floor when it gave way in the midst of a birthday party.

“They said they had just blown out the candles, so they didn’t get to eat the cake,” Mabie said.

Contact staff writer Joe Beck at 540-465-5137 ext. 142, or jbeck@nvdaily.com