FAA relies on guidelines for hobby drones
The Federal Aviation Administration does not require pilots of unmanned aircraft to receive agency approval for recreational or hobby flights. But the agency website lists safety guidelines that pilots are “strongly encouraged” to follow. They include:
• Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles.
• Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times.
• Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations.
• Don’t fly within five miles of an airport without notifying the airport and control tower before the flight.
• Don’t fly near people or stadiums.
• Don’t fly an aircraft weighing more than 55 pounds.
• Reckless or careless actions that endanger people or other aircraft could result in a fine.