Man accused of cutting estranged wife

Charles Stubbs

Middletown police have a charged a man with malicious wounding after he and his estranged wife appeared at a Winchester Medical Center with cuts on their bodies.

Police say the defendant, Charles Robert Stubbs, 38, cut Christine Stubbs, 35, repeatedly during an argument in her apartment that spanned several hours late on Dec. 28 and early on Dec. 29.

Middletown police detective Steve Goldhizen said the victim, Christine Stubbs, also reported that Charles Stubbs grabbed her by her hair and slammed her head into a doorjamb.

“They were the only two people in the house, and they had been drinking heavily, and they got into an argument,” Goldizen said.

Goldizen said the incident began around 9 p.m. Dec. 28 and continued until 4 or 5 a.m. Dec. 29 when the couple left the apartment in the 7900 block of Main Street and went to Winchester Medical Center in her vehicle.

Goldizen said someone on the medical staff of the hospital called him at 12:30 p.m. Dec. 29 and reported the incident to him.

Goldizen said Charles Stubbs refused treatment at the hospital for his cuts, but the defendant was having “heart issues.”

“That’s why he went to the hospital,” Goldizen said.

Goldizen said Christine Stubbs denied cutting Charles Stubbs, and insisted his cuts were self-inflicted.

Goldizen said Charles Stubbs admitted cutting his wife, but maintained the couple cut each other by “mutual agreement.”

Goldizen said Charles Stubbs has also been charged with violating a protective order, which was in place before the incident. The order allowed Stubbs to visit his estranged wife when their children were not present, but he violated it when she accused him of injuring her, Goldizen said.

Goldizen said the couple was released from the hospital later on Dec. 29, but police were summoned again when Christine Stubbs called 911 and reported that Charles Stubbs was waiting inside her apartment when she returned around 7 p.m.

“He threatened to kill himself,” Goldizen said of Stubbs. “He told her to give him 30 minutes, and he would kill himself.”

Goldizen said the defendant fled the apartment after the 911 call and remained at large until Middletown police found and arrested him a short distance away around midnight.

Stephens City police took Stubbs to the Rappahannock-Shenandoah-Warren Regional Jail where he remains held without bond.

Contact staff writer Joe Beck at 540-465-5137 ext. 142, or jbeck@nvdaily.com