Seventh juvenile charged in bus incident
Shenandoah County authorities have charged a seventh Strasburg High School student with assault or battery by mob in connection with a mid-December incident on a school bus carrying members of the school’s junior varsity and varsity teams.
Maj. Scott Proctor of the Shenandoah County Sheriff’s Office said the charge was filed in the form of a juvenile court petition that was served on Friday. Proctor described the defendant as a 16-year-old boy.
The six other students in the case, three of them 16 years old and three of them 17 years old, appeared in Shenandoah County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court on Thursday. There has been no word from authorities about what, if any, action was taken at the closed hearing.
All JV and varsity basketball games and practices have been canceled since the incident on a bus that was returning from a basketball game in West Virginia.
The latest defendant is scheduled to appear in Juvenile and Domestic Relation Court on March 3.
Shenandoah County Public Schools Superintendent Jeremy Raley said last week that what he called the “review process” was within “several days” of ending, but Proctor declined to comment on whether the investigation was close to the end.
“It’s still ongoing,” Proctor said of the investigation. “I’d be reluctant to say anything at this point as to how far along it is.”
Proctor said new information obtained during the course of the investigation was the reason why there was a delay between the charging of the first six defendants on Jan. 21 and the charging of the seventh on Friday. He said the decision to file a juvenile petition against the seventh defendant was made after consultation with Commonwealth’s Attorney Amanda McDonald Wiseley.
Contact staff writer Joe Beck at 540-465-5137 ext. 142, or email@example.com
Print This Article