New Market library begins summer reading program
The New Market Area Library begin its Children’s Summer Reading program on Thursday.
Karen Whetzel, a volunteer at the library and chairwoman of the Shenandoah County School Board, said the summer reading program’s theme for this year is Read for the Win.
She added that a special program will be held at 10 a.m. each Thursday at the library and continuing until Aug. 11.
“In addition, children ages birth to fifth grade can register for the reading incentive program beginning Thursday for which they keep a reading log to earn prizes,” she said.
A teen reading incentive program and adult reading incentive program also began on Thursday. Teens and adults do not have a special program each week, but are encouraged to help with the children’s programs.
She added that in 2015, an average of 57 children and adults participated in each program, with 77 signing up for the reading incentive and 40 reading logs returned.
The children’s program has been in existence for over 10 years, she said. The library has also been holding the teen reading programs for five years.
Read for the Win Summer Reading Special Weekly Program schedule:
• 10 a.m. June 23- Reading, a Magical Adventure with Brian Bence, Magician.
• 10 a.m. June 30 – Wendy Whitford and Joanne Thompson, O-lympics!
• 10 a.m. July 7 – (held at Rebel Park) – Reading with the Rebels.
• 10 a.m. July 14- Reading and Rhythm with Michael Deaton.
• 10 a.m. July 21 – Famous Races and Riddles with Kim and Jimbo (Virginia Commission for the Arts).
• 10 a.m. July 28- Win with the Schultz Theater and the Little Mermaid.
• 10 a.m. Aug. 4 – Get Active with Ronald McDonald.
• 10 a.m. Aug. 11 – Summer Reading Celebration with Handley Puppeteers.
Contact staff writer Kaley Toy at 540-465-5137 ext. 176, or email@example.com