Fire damages home near Woodstock

Fire damaged the front porch of a two-story, single-family house on Sycamore Lane, west of Woodstock, late Monday night, said Sgt. Zach Hottel of the Woodstock Fire Department. Hottel said he didn’t know the exact address.

No injuries were reported and residents were able to get out safely.

He also said that the residents were able to extinguish the blaze for the most part before crews arrived. Roughly $6,000 of damage was caused by the fire, most of which was confined to the porch, Hottel said. He added that the house is still habitable.

“We were dispatched for a structure fire,” Hottel said. “They reported that there was a fire on their enclosed deck in front of the house that was spreading into the house. … The fire didn’t really get into the main part of the house. It was almost exclusively confined to the porch.”

Hottel said the residents were home at the time and that the fire was likely caused by improperly disposed cigarette butts.

“From what we could tell, they (the butts) were improperly disposed in a flower pot and they spread to the porch,” he said.

Crews from Woodstock, Edinburg, Toms Brook and Shenandoah County responded to the call at approximately 10:36 p.m. Monday, According to a release from the Woodstock Fire Department, crews were able to get the situation under control by 10:50 p.m.

Contact staff writer Nathan Budryk at 540-465-5137 ext. 155, or nbudryk@nvdaily.com.

Comment Policy

Print This Article

Woodstock

Local News