Trial date set in murdered cab driver case
Clay Marshall Curtis is scheduled to go on trial in early April for the first-degree murder of Front Royal cab driver Simon Funk Jr.
Warren County Circuit Judge Ronald Napier Tuesday set a five-day trial for the week of April 10 after discussing the issue with defense attorneys John Bell and David Hensley and Commonwealth’s Attorney Brian Madden.
“We’re prepared to go ahead and set a trial date,” Bell told Napier. “I understand the docket is filling up.”
Marshall, 63, has been in jail since his arrest in early December 2014, hours before authorities found Funk’s body.
Court documents describe Funk, 42, as an acquaintance of Curtis.
Authorities say Curtis answered a late night telephone call from a woman who was Funk’s girlfriend. Curtis is quoted in a court document as saying, “I’m going to prison forever, and I killed him.”
Authorities say Funk told his girlfriend earlier in the night that he was planning to give Curtis a ride into the county, but he was concerned that Curtis was bringing a gun with him.
Funk was found dead of a gunshot wound in the early morning hours in the 700 block of Kildare Drive.
Law enforcement officials arrested Curtis on a parole violation charge in an unrelated federal case. The arrest came hours before Funk’s body was discovered. Curtis was subsequently held in prison for almost a year before he was indicted in Funk’s death.
Contact staff writer Joe Beck at 540-465-5137 ext. 142, or email@example.com
Print This Article