Board OKs budget, pay raises
FRONT ROYAL – Most Warren County Public Schools employees can expect to see a pay raise in the next budget.
The School Board adopted the fiscal 2018 budget at its meeting Wednesday – a day after the Board of Supervisors approved a tax increase and the county’s spending plan. The school’s budget includes $55.09 million for operating costs and cafeteria spending of $2.7 million.
Superintendent L. Greg Drescher explained that the approved school budgets reflect the board’s requests made in March. The approved budget does include $14,755 to cover the division’s share of the cost for a school resource officer for the new middle school. Drescher recommended, and the School Board approved, a reduction of $14,755 in the division’s budget line for contingencies to cover the cost.
The board also approved the 2017-2018 employee salary scales. Approval of the scales allows the division to prepare and issue contracts. Positions on all scales except miscellaneous and supplemental will receive a 2.5-percent salary increase. No position will receive a step increase, Finance Director Rob Ballentine explained.
Also at the meeting, the board:
• Approved the 2017-2018 Special Education Annual Plan.
• Approved the expansion of the early childhood education teacher in the Bright Beginnings program to the position of family engagement coordinator and its work hours increased from 200 to 250 days effective July 1. The coordinator will work in the community with private daycare providers and families to navigate the special-education system and services. A state grant will cover the cost of additional work days.
• Approved the award of separate contracts of up to $49,975 each to K&C Construction and Landscaping LLC to repair the tennis courts at Skyline High School and at Warren County High School – the first time work has been needed on these facilities since their construction.
• Approved the 2017-2018 Local Perkins Career and Technical Plan that provides the county with funds to buy materials and equipment, support professional development and support members of identified, special populations engaged in career and technical student organizations.
• Approved the award of a contract of $35,640 to Document Solutions for the lease of three copiers at Ressie Jeffries Elementary School.
Contact staff writer Alex Bridges at 540-465-5137 ext. 125, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Print This Article