Fire partially destroys home
A chimney fire destroyed much of a house at 278 Morgan Ford Road near Front Royal early Saturday evening.
Firefighters were called to the scene at about 6:22 p.m. by the homeowners, Dennis and Joan Wines.
Warren County Fire Chief Richard E. Mabie said the Wineses and two dogs and five cats in the house escaped to safety unharmed.
“For us, it went from being what they called a chimney fire to a fire spreading through the roof,” Mabie said.
Firefighters arrived at the house to find fire burning through the roof to the chimney area. Mabie said firefighters worked to contain the damage, but most of the living area, roof, attic and contents of the house were destroyed before the fire was extinguished.
“By the time we got there, it had already burned through the roof,” Mabie said.
County fire investigators ruled the fire an accident that began in the chimney and spread to the attic and roof.
Mabie estimated the damage at $200,000.
Contact staff writer Joe Beck at 540-465-5137 ext. 142, or firstname.lastname@example.org.