Warren County farmhouse burns in Tuesday morning blaze

A fire in the early morning hours of Tuesday burned significant portions of a farm house in Warren County, displacing its residents according to Richard Mabie, chief of Warren County Fire and Rescue.

Crews responded to 883 Morgan’s Ford Road at 2:39 a.m. To find a single story farmhouse with “significant fire conditions in and around the rear porch of the home,” a news release stated.

Four occupants – two adults, a young child and an infant – were in the house at the time of the blaze but were able to escape unharmed after smelling smoke, according to the release.

The cause of the fire was determined to be discarded ashes from a wood stove, Mabie said.

“She (a resident) dumped an ash bucket on the ground right beside the steps leading to the rear porch,” Mabie said. “She didn’t leave them in the bucket itself. She actually dumped the contents of the bucket onto the ground.”

The damage to the house was estimated at $100,000, the release said, and Mabie said he would consider the house a total loss, but it will depend on what action is taken by the residents’ insurance company.

“There’s still a good portion of it standing,” Mabie said. “It’s got some age on it, so calls like that you never know what the insurance company will do.”

Mabie said that fires of this nature do happen, but their regularity has been declining.

“We went through a stage a few years ago where we had five to seven or so and we did a big campaign about it and they slowed down,” he said. “I’d say right now we have maybe one or two a winter which we’re still not happy with.”

It was determined that there were no functioning smoke detectors present in the house, according to the news release.

The family was offered Red Cross support but were able to secure other means of housing.

Several Fire and Rescue units responded from Warren County. A Mount Weather unit filled Warren County Station Six, with Engine 51 from Strasburg and 25 from Shenandoah County filling Warren County Station One, as those stations’ personnel combated the blaze.

Contact staff writer Nathan Budryk at 540-465-5137 ext. 155, or nbudryk@nvdaily.com.