Fire claims Warren garage, vehicles
A Monday morning fire destroyed a garage in the 3900 block of Guard Hill Road in Warren County.
Fire marshal Gerry Maiatico said the garage was a detached structure that was housing multiple vehicles at the time of the fire. Maiatico said that a camper-type vehicle where the fire originated around 5 a.m. was also nearby.
“It (the garage) was fully involved as well as multiple vehicles inside of the garage and a mobile camper on the exterior of the garage,” Maiatico said. “The fire originated from that mobile camper due to a space heater placed too closely to combustible materials.”
Maiatico said the camper was being used as temporary housing, and there was a resident inside at the time of the fire.
“There was an occupant inside of the camper at the time the fire originated,” he said. “He was awoken by a family dog that was in the camper. He was able to self-rescue and get the dog out as well.”
There were no smoke alarms in the camper.
Maiatico said it appears that the structure was uninsured. Two passenger vehicles, the camper and the garage itself were total losses. Maiatico estimated the damage at $100,000.
Stations 10, 4, 1, 6, 5 and 8 responded to the scene. Station 6 and Middletown station 12 provided station fills.
Contact staff writer Nathan Budryk at 540-465-5137 ext. 155, or firstname.lastname@example.org