Holiday Twinkies added to Valley Milk recall list
A special holiday edition of the iconic Hostess Twinkie and various other candies have been added to the list of products impacted by the Valley Milk Products LLC recall of powdered milk.
Hostess Brands LLC has issued a recall due to risk of salmonella contamination in holiday-themed white peppermint Twinkies. The recall is in response to a recall issued by the maker of the cakes’ coating, Blommer Chocolate Company.
Other products have been recalled by Palmer Candy, which used the Blommer coating in several seasonal candies. Marty Palmer, president of the Iowa-based Palmer Candy, said that his company was unaware, as was Blommer, from which Palmer has bought for “decades.”
“Food safety is really important. We’re absolutely going to err on the side of caution,” Palmer said. “If you’re in the food business, you just know that a little of this comes your way. We know that we didn’t do anything wrong. We know that Blommer didn’t do anything wrong.”
Palmer said that the recall, announced Monday night, will have no effect on Palmer Candy’s business relationship with Blommer moving forward, adding that much of the affected product was seasonal, and has since been removed from shelves.
Palmer Candy sells to several grocery chains, but regional markets such as Martin’s and Food Lion are not among them, Palmer said.
Multiple calls and messages to Blommer Chocolate were not returned.
Valley Milk Products LLC is a part of the Maryland Virginia Milk Producers Cooperative Association. No other members of the cooperative were implicated in the salmonella contamination scare and all affected milk powder is being attributed to the Strasburg plant, stated Amber Sheridan, director of corporate communications for the Maryland and Virginia Milk Producers Cooperative Association in an email Wednesday.
“Valley Milk has notified all direct customers that received product under the recall,” Sheridan stated. “What we are seeing now is that companies downstream are announcing recalls, but for their specific products. … Valley Milk takes food safety very seriously and we will continue to work cooperatively with the FDA to resolve this issue.”
There have been no illnesses associated with these recalls and no salmonella was found in the Valley Milk Products plant. However, questionable equipment sanitation prompted the Food and Drug Administration to seize more than 4 million pounds of various milk powders from the Strasburg facility in late November.
According to a notice from the Food and Drug Administration, the only Hostess products that were affected were its white peppermint Twinkies (UPC 888109111571), which were only sold in multi-pack boxes with nine individually wrapped units.
Publix Supermarkets also recalled items as well Delhaize and Trail’s End brands.
The affected Palmer Candy products are:
• Palmer Candy Chocolate Almond Bark 9 oz., UPC # 77232-17250, Expiration Range: 4/26/17 – 6/7/17
• Palmer Candy Christmas Tree Pretzels 7 oz., UPC # 77232-17137, Expiration Range: 7/27/27 – 8/3/17
• Palmer Candy Christmas Tree Pretzels 7 oz., UPC # 77232-16310, Expiration Range: 7/24/17 – 7/27/17
• Palmer Candy Cookies & Cream Bark 9 oz., UPC # 77232-17254, Expiration Range: 7/17/17 – 9/2/17
• Palmer Candy Crème De Menthe Bark 9 oz., UPC # 77232-16043, Expiration Range: 8/7/17 – 8/7/17
• Palmer Candy Crème De Menthe Bark 9 oz., UPC # 77232-17255, Expiration Range: 7/26/17 – 8/7/17
• Palmer Candy Drizzled Peanut Brittle 8 oz., UPC # 77232-17002, Expiration Range: 4/30/17 – 5/22/17
• Palmer Candy Game Day Party Bowl 16 oz., UPC # 77232-17291, Expiration Range: 7/18/17 – 7/18/17
• Palmer Candy Holiday Gift Bowl 22 oz., UPC # 77232-17285, Expiration Range: 4/18/17 – 5/1/17
• Palmer Candy Holiday Treats 16.5 oz., UPC # 77232-23045, Expiration Range: 4/25/17 – 5/14/17
• Palmer Candy Peppermint Bark 9 oz., UPC # 77232-17270, Expiration Range: 7/15/17 – 8/29/17
• Palmer Candy Peppermint Bark 8/9 oz., UPC # 77232-16309, Expiration Range: 7/24/17 – 7/28/17
• Palmer Candy Peppermint Bark 12/9 oz., UPC # 77232-16042, Expiration Range: 7/17/17 – 7/17/17
• Palmer Candy Swirled Pretzels 5 oz., UPC # 77232-13990, Expiration Range: 8/30/2017 – 9/7/2017
• Bakery Delights Christmas Tree Pretzels 5 oz., UPC # 77232-13227, Expiration Range: 7/18/17 – 8/3/17
• Delhaize Peppermint Pretzels 5 oz., UPC # 25439-20204 Expiration Range: 7/28/17 – 8/3/17
• Trail’s End Chocolatey Caramel Crunch 18 oz., UPC # X000FMRA8J, Expiration Range: 7/29/17 – 8/8/17
• Publix Almond Bark with Cocoa 10 oz., UPC # 41415-22691 Expiration Range: 4/26/17 – 5/23/17
• Publix Peppermint Bark 10 oz., UPC # 41415-23091, Expiration Range: 8/3/17 – 8/7/17
• Palmer Candy 3 Part Christmas Bowl 15 oz., UPC # 77232-02580, Expiration Range: 4/12/17 – 5/28/17
• Palmer Candy Mixed Peppermint Pretzel 7 oz., UPC # 77232-12147, Expiration Range: 7/18/17 – 7/27/17
• Palmer Candy Peppermint Bark 8 oz., UPC # 77232-12146, Expiration Range: 7/12/17 – 7/28/17
Contact staff writer Nathan Budryk at 540-465-5137 ext. 155, or email@example.com