Candle causes Warren County residential fire

A Thursday night house fire in Warren County is believed to have been caused by a fallen candle, Warren County Fire and Rescue officials said in a written statement.

Emergency responders received a call at 6:59 p.m. about a fire at 2581 Shenandoah Shores Road, which is just outside of Front Royal. When they arrived, there was smoke coming from the roof and the second floor of the two-story stucco residence. Two water tank trucks were requested to assist with the blaze because the house was beyond the town’s water system, the statement said.

Firefighters attacked the fire aggressively, but had to be pulled from the house because the roof began collapsing. Firefighters then used an aerial ladder to extinguish the fire, and the blaze was under control by 8 p.m.

There were six people in the home, a man and five children, and all were able to escape the fire. The man was the first to call about the fire. He alerted authorities that a candle had fallen on clothes in a second floor bedroom. The Red Cross offered housing and clothing as assistance to the residents of the home.

The Warren County Fire Marshal’s Office is still investigating the fire’s cause, but it has been ruled accidental and the result of the misused candle. The basement and the first floor of the home may still be salvaged, the statement said, and the estimated loss is at $350,000.

COMMENTS