Fire damages Toms Brook townhouse

The Shenandoah County Department of Fire and Rescue responded to a fire in a townhouse at 22 Toms Brook Drive at 2:56 p.m. Monday.

Rebecca Smith came home to find “heavy, black smoke” inside her home and called 911, Fire Marshal David Ferguson said Tuesday.

Smith lives with her husband and two children. No one was inside the building during the fire. The family is being assisted by the American Red Cross in finding shelter.

Smoke was coming out of the second- and third-story windows of the three-level townhouse when fire and rescue appeared on the scene. Responders found the fire in the kitchen near the cabinets, which had sparked from a nearby electrical device.

“The fire department made a quick attack on the fire, and was able to extinguish the fire early on, preventing the spread to adjacent rooms within the townhouse,” Ferguson said.

The townhouse is directly attached to its neighbors, but fire walls on either side were not damaged during the fire, Ferguson said. He noted that damage from the fire is not noticeable from the outside.

During the incident, Main Street was restricted to one lane for about an hour to accommodate the emergency responders on the scene.

“We are coming into the winter season. (I’m) reminding everybody to install smoke detectors, or if they have smoke detectors to test the smoke detectors to make sure that they’re in working order,” Ferguson said. “We run into numerous structure fires involving heating devices, either by a chimney, or an electric heater, propane heater — so yes, we do run more fires and more devastating fires (in the winter).”

COMMENTS