Giving Tuesday: County urges residents to support nonprofits
Residents living in Shenandoah County, as part of Giving Tuesday, can show their support for a group of nonprofit agencies helping individuals and families.
“We hope attention is brought to the nonprofits we have in the community and the work they do everyday,” said Sharon Baroncelli, executive director of the Shenandoah County Chamber of Commerce. “The need is year round, not just one day, but this is a good way to focus on giving at this time of year.”
Giving Tuesday was created six years ago by the Belfer Center for Innovation & Social Impact in New York City. It comes after Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday – the trifecta of holiday shopping, and is meant to be a day to give back to communities by donations, according to the Giving Tuesday website.
This is the first year the Shenandoah County Chamber of Commerce and some of its nonprofit members have participated in the event. They created the hashtag #ShenCoGives.
Of the more than 30 nonprofit organizations in the chamber, eight are participating.
To donate, visit the web pages for the organizations website. Donors will either see a donation button or a Giving Tuesday logo to click on, Baroncelli said.
Participating nonprofit organizations are:
- The American Cancer Society: www.relayforlife.org/ShenandoahVA
- Family Promise: http://shenandoahfamilypromise.org/
- Friends of the North Fork: http://fnfsr.org/donate/
- NSV Financial Education Program: http://tinyurl.com/givetonsvfinancialeducation
- Response: http://www.responseva.org/hopeandhealing
- Shenandoah Alliance for Shelter: http://www.allianceforshelter.com/
- Shenandoah Community Health Clinic: www.shenclinic.org
- United Way of Northern Shenandoah Valley: https://www.unitedwaynsv.org/donate