Goats perish in Woodstock fire
The Shenandoah County Fire Marshal reported that all but one of 10 to 15 goats died early Wednesday morning in a fire at 288 Hidden Acres Lane in Woodstock.
The fire occurred in a metal building that Fire Marshal Dave Ferguson estimated to be 20 feet by 20 feet. Some of the goats inside were pregnant at the time of the fire, he said.
Ferguson said that all signs point to the five electric heaters in the building being the cause of the fire.
The owner, Valerie Keller, did not discover that a fire had occurred until she woke up Wednesday morning. She called Shenandoah County Fire and Rescue. Units arrived only to find the fire in a smoldering state.
One goat did survive, though Ferguson could not confirm whether or not it was pregnant.
Ferguson estimated the fire cost at $15,000 in total damages.