Thirteen Future Farmers of America members from the Strasburg chapter traveled to Virginia Tech in Blacksburg to participate in the 88th State FFA Convention from June 23-26. Members attended business sessions and competed in four career development events.
Team results are as follows:
• Team members Nathan McDonald, Hannah Orndorff, Amelia Guthrie, Kara Dolly, Taylor Wood and Ethan Gochenour placed third in agricultural issues.
• Austin Weaver placed third in extemporaneous public speaking.
• Team members Bethany Gochenour, Ashley Yanego, Josh Stickles and Devon Eyring placed second in environmental and natural resources. The group will represent Virginia at the Eastern State Exposition in September.
• Team members Kara Dolly and Devon Eyring received a silver rating at the agriscience fair.
The following teams and individuals were recognized for accomplishments earlier this year:
• Josh Stickles was the first in the senior State Soils Career Development Event.
• The Junior Parliamentary Procedure Team placed first in the state contest. Team members include Kara Dolly, Devon Eyring, Ethan Gochenour, Amelia Guthrie, Nathan McDonald and Hannah Orndorff.
The Strasburg chapter also was recognized for the following:
• Six FFA members received their state FFA degrees.
• Two FFA members were recognized and will receive their American FFA degree in October.
• Public relations award - gold rating
• Chapter scrapbook - gold rating
• A gold rating for the superior chapter award
• Recognized as a three-star chapter in Virginia
• One of the top 18 chapters in the state