NVDAILY.COM | Opinion
Posted November 22, 2012 | 1 Comment
Editorial: We are thankful
As you are sitting around the dining room table on this day of thanksgiving, think about - and express - what you're thankful for. Is it your family? Good health? Living in a great nation? Or is it the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole and pumpkin pie that you are about to tackle?
The Daily's reporters and editors were asked what they are thankful for this year from a journalist's perspective. We'd like to share their answers - and beware, as at any table where journalists are seated, there's always a wise guy or two:
• "As a journalist in America, I am thankful I can do my job to report the news without fear of deadly attacks by militants taking out their anger on the media."
• "I have a very hard time choosing just one thing I'm thankful for as a journalist. No. 1, I'm thankful that I still enjoy working in a profession I have dreamed of having since I was about 12 years old. More importantly, I'm thankful I have the job that is rarely the same two days in a row, and that gives me the opportunity to learn about a variety of topics and meet interesting people."
• "As a journalist, I am thankful for the Oxford comma. You don't know what you have until you're forbidden from using it."
• "As a journalist, I am thankful to be a voice to boast the achievements of members of our community."
• "I am thankful for the many great journalists I've had the pleasure to work with over the years. Many of the friendships have remained even years after most have moved on to other publications -- and even professions -- miles away from our former shared workplace."
• "I can't improve on the words of Jessica Mitford: "You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty."
• "As a journalist, I am thankful for not only learning the inspiring stories of local folks, but getting to share them with our readers."
• "As a journalist, I am thankful for all of the new relationships I form with the people I meet on assignments."
• "As a journalist, I am thankful for the Internet, which allows us to quickly distribute news and information to the world. I am thankful for our readers and advertisers who support us so that we may continue to watch over the valley and share our community's stories and photos, and I am especially thankful for being able to work with such a talented and dedicated group of journalists here at the Daily."
The Daily wishes you and your loved ones a happy Thanksgiving.