Letter to the Editor: Setting record straight on what liberals are all about
Now that we are subjected to Michelle Payne’s version of what progressives/liberals are all about (Nov. 1 letter), allow me to set the record straight about where they are coming from on each of her “highlights.”
1. A progressive tax system where the wealthy pay their fair share.
2. Government social programs that provide a safety net for working Americans.
3. Comprehensive immigration reform that provides a path to citizenship for those who earn it.
4. Equal rights for all Americans, including homosexuals by making same sex marriage legal in all states.
5. Common sense gun regulations that protect gun owners while keeping guns out of the hands of those who would do harm to others.
6. Protect women’s right to choose by preserving Roe vs. Wade.
7.. Affordable health care for all Americans with a single payer system. Medicare for all.
8. Common sense regulations for corporations to avoid another financial crises that were created by de-regulation.
9. Affordable education for all.
10. Legislation to protect employees to form unions without repercussions from their employers.
11. Strict separation of church and state that will guarantee one to pursue the religion of choice while keeping religion where it belongs, in their homes, private schools and churches.
Finally allow me to quote one who is an authority on how his God wants us to treat “the least of these.”
“Excuse me if I use strong words, but when there is no work there is no dignity … We don’t want this globalized economic system that does so much harm. Widening disparity is the consequence of an economic system that brings about this tragedy, an economic system that has at its center the cult of money. Such idolatry creates an economic culture that throws away the well being of the many to enhance the fortunes of the few. We have to say no to this throwaway culture . We want a just system that helps everyone.”
Those are the powerful words of Pope Francis reacting to Paul Ryan’s proposed budget that slashes social programs providing hope for the “least of these.”
Gene Rigelon, Front Royal
Print This Article