1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour (plus more for kneading)
1 c. whole wheat flour
Â½ c. milled flax seed
1 c. buttermilk
2 T. butter
2 T. olive oil
2 T. honey
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
Â½ tsp. baking soda
olive oil for heating
1. In a large bowl, combine flours, flax seed, butter, salt, soda, and powder.
2. Mix well. Add olive oil, honey, and buttermilk (nota bene: adding 1 T. of lemon juice to not quite 1 c. of milk and letting set for a few minutes will work just as well); mix well.
3. Prepare a smooth dough by mixing and kneading, using more flour as needed.
4. Separate the dough into 8 parts.
5. For each piece: use a rolling pin to roll out the ball of dough into a uniformly thick circle with a 7-8 inch diameter. Make sure to flour the work space, as needed.
6. Heat oil in a skillet on medium-low to medium heat (nota bene: be careful the olive oil does not smoke), add one of the rolled out circles of dough, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Flip with a spatula and cook for another 2 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Remove from skillet to a plate.
8. Add more oil and continue cooking dough circles until all flat bread is ready.
9. Use immediately (such as for caprese, hummus, or a plethora of other options) or store in a tightly sealed container for up to a week, longer if stored in the refrigerator or freezer. Makes 8 slices