NVDAILY.COM | Sports
Posted September 15, 2009 | Leave a comment
Handley still No. 1 in prep power rankings
The Northern Virginia Daily Sports staff collaborated to create a football top 10 list. Each staffer voted, with 10 points being awarded to the top ranked team, nine to the No. 2 team and so on. Numbers in parenthesis indicate where each team was last week.
1. Handley (1), 2-0, 0-0 Northwestern -- Handley beat Briar Woods, 17-14, without senior RB/LB Leonard Grant, who was out with a sprained ankle. Senior RB/DB Jeremiah Wilson also suffered an ankle injury during the game, but Handley was still able to hang on for the win.
2. Clarke County (3), 3-0, 0-0 Bull Run -- The Eagles easily beat Stonewall Jackson, 46-7. They are averaging over 45 points per game.
3. Sherando (3), 3-0, 0-0 Northwestern -- The Warriors defeated Washington (W.Va.), 41-0. Senior QB Corey Rice threw for 200 yards and had four TD passes.
4. James Wood (4), 2-0, 0-0 Northwestern -- The Colonels beat Musselman (W.Va.), 35-14. Brock Lockhart had 177 yards rushing, giving him close to 500 yards for the season.
5. Skyline (5 tie), 2-0, 0-0 Northwestern -- The Hawks moved to 2-0 with a convincing 39-14 win over Fauquier. Senior RB Cliff Woodard had 117 yards rushing in the victory.
6. Central (7 tie), 2-0, 0-0 Shenandoah -- Central is off to a 2-0 start for the first time in four years. The Falcons will have a tough test this week against Broadway.
7. Millbrook (5 tie), 1-2, 0-0 Northwestern -- The Pioneers suffered a tough loss to Spotswood, 19-17. Millbrook has a week off to regroup and will try to get back to .500 next week against Fauquier.
8. Warren County (7 tie), 1-2, 0-0 Evergreen -- The Wildcats hung tough with Loudoun County for the first half before losing, 42-7. Warren County played without starters Damien Caison and Gage Steele, who were out with injuries.
9. Stonewall Jackson (9), 0-2, 0-0 Shenandoah -- Stonewall Jackson will try to rebound from its disappointing loss to Clarke County this week against George Mason.
10. Strasburg (10), 0-3, 0-0 Bull Run -- Strasburg will attempt to get on the winning track this week when it plays at Luray.
Copyright © The Northern Virginia Daily | nvdaily.com | 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657 | (800) 296-5137