NVDAILY.COM | Sports
Posted September 17, 2009 | Leave a comment
Millbrook still on top in the rankings
Daily Staff Reports -- firstname.lastname@example.org
The Northern Virginia Daily Sports staff collaborated to create a top 10 volleyball list. Each staffer voted, with 10 points being awarded to the top ranked team, nine to the No. 2 team and so on. Numbers in parentheses indicate where each team was last week.
1. Millbrook (1), 4-0, 0-0 Northwestern -- Millbrook hasn't dropped a set in its first four matches. They will be tested this weekend in the Spotswood Invitational.
2. Strasburg (2), 6-1, 0-0 Bull Run -- The Rams have won six in a row after falling to Sherando to start the season. They appear to be primed and ready for the Bull Run District season, which is just around the corner.
3. James Wood (3 tie), 5-3, 1-0 Northwestern -- The Colonels knocked off James Wood on Wednesday to take the early district lead.
4. Sherando (3 tie), 4-5, 0-1 Northwestern -- The Warriors continue to struggle against some quality teams.
5. Stonewall Jackson (8), 2-3, 0-0 Shenandoah -- The Generals have faced tough competition so far, which should prepare them for the Shenandoah District this season. Things won't get any easier for Stonewall Jackson when it plays Strasburg today and then participates in the Spotswood Invitational this weekend.
6. Clarke County (5), 4-2, 0-0 Bull Run -- The Eagles only losses this season have come to Stonewall Jackson. The Eagles are looking to be a factor in the Bull Run District this year.
7. Handley (6), 3-2, 0-0 Northwestern -- The Judges are off to their best start in years. They have their biggest challenge of the season today when they host Millbrook.
8. Central (7), 2-3, 0-0 Shenandoah -- The Falcons won two in a row before falling to Strasburg on Tuesday night. Central will try to get back to its winning ways tonight when it plays at Broadway.
9. Skyline (9), 2-4, 0-0 Northwestern -- The Hawks will try to get back to .500 this week with matches against county-rival Warren County and Spotswood.
10. Warren County (10), 0-5, 0-0 Evergreen -- The Wildcats are still looking for their first win of the season, but have shown improvement throughout the season.
Copyright © The Northern Virginia Daily | nvdaily.com | 152 N. Holliday St., Strasburg, Va. 22657 | (800) 296-5137