Daily Staff Report -- email@example.com
The Northern Virginia Daily Sports staff collaborated to create a football top 10 list. Each staffer voted, with 10 points being awarded to the top ranked team, nine to the No. 2 team and so on. Numbers in parenthesis indicate where each team was last week.
1. Handley (1) 7-0, 1-0 Northwestern -- The Judges beat a solid Sherando squad without the services of University of Maryland-bound Jeremiah Wilson, who is out with an MCL injury. Handley has another tough test this week against Skyline.
2. Clarke County (2) 7-0, 1-0 Bull Run -- It was another dominating performance last week from Clarke County, as the Eagles scored 42 first-half points against George Mason. It was Clarke's third straight shutout.
3, tie. James Wood (4) 6-1, 1-1 Northwestern -- The Colonels dominated Skyline in a 34-6 win last week, and senior running back Brock Lockhart broke the school record for rushing yards in a season. The win keeps the Colonels on track for a possible playoff berth.
3, tie. Sherando (3) 5-2, 1-1 Northwestern -- Sherando suffered a disappointing loss to Handley last week, but should still be in good shape for a playoff berth if it can win out. The Warriors play their final non-district game this week against Liberty.
5. Skyline (5) 5-2, 1-1 Northwestern -- Skyline suffered its second consecutive loss last week, but the Hawks have a chance to redeem themselves this week. A win over Handley would put them right back in the district playoff race and boost their chances at a postseason berth.
6. Central (6) 4-2, 1-0 Shenandoah -- The Falcons are flying high after a win over county rival Stonewall Jackson last week. It was the perfect way to start over their Shenandoah District schedule, but this week the Falcons host Riverheads, the preseason district favorite.
7. Millbrook (7) 4-3, 0-1 Northwestern -- The Pioneers had their offense at full throttle last week, scoring 41 points against Brentsville. The Pioneers will need their offense this week when they take on county rival James Wood.
8. Warren County (8) 1-6, 0-2 Evergreen -- The Wildcats were crushed by Fauquier last week and will need to right the ship in a hurry if they are going to challenge for the district title.
9. Stonewall Jackson (9) 1-5, 0-1 Shenandoah -- The Generals' season-long struggles continued against Central last week. The Generals need a win over Luray this week to have any chance at contending for a district title.
10. Strasburg (10) 1-6, 0-1 Bull Run -- Strasburg's district season didn't start off the way it had hoped as it fumbled six times in the first half of a loss to Manassas Park. Things get much tougher this week as the Rams host Clarke County.