The Northern Virginia Daily Sports staff collaborated to create a football top 10 list. Each staffer voted, with 10 points being awarded to the top-ranked team, nine to the No. 2 team and so on. Numbers in parenthesis indicate where each team was last week.
1. Sherando (1) 6-0, 1-0 Northwestern -- The Warriors made it through a tough district opener against James Wood largely unscathed, but another test awaits on Saturday with a trip to the Handley Bowl. The Warriors will look to avenge last year's 10-0 loss to the Judges.
2. Clarke County (3) 6-0, 0-0 Bull Run -- The Eagles had a week to rest up following six straight nondistrict games to open the season. Clarke County was largely untested in that stretch, and that may not change in Bull Run action.
3. Handley (5) 3-3, 0-0 Northwestern -- The Judges continue their steady climb back up the rankings after dropping to as low as ninth early in the year. After demolishing Kettle Run in a final non-district tune-up, Handley hosts a talented -- and motivated -- Sherando squad looking for payback.
4. Warren County (4) 4-2, 0-1 Evergreen -- The Wildcats enjoyed a less-than-auspicious start to district play with a 49-14 drubbing against Liberty, but the Eagles could well be the top team in the state. It doesn't get much easier, though, as the Wildcats host a tough Fauquier team Friday.
5. James Wood (3) 3-3, 0-1 Northwestern -- A loss rarely leaves a positive impression, but the Colonels did show they still are a force to be reckoned with in the Northwestern District by giving Sherando all it could handle last week in a 14-7 loss. The Colonels do need to start building some momentum after losing three of their last four if they hope for a return to the playoffs.
6. Millbrook (6) 3-3, 1-0 Northwestern -- Despite an impressive district-opening 28-7 win over Skyline last week that evened their season record, the Pioneers remain in the same spot for the third straight week in the power rankings. With a break in the district slate to host first-year program Woodgrove this week, Millbrook has a chance to regroup before finishing out with a tough district slate.
7. Central (8) 2-3, 0-0 Shenandoah -- The Falcons jump up a spot even though they were idle last week. It could be a challenging start to Shenandoah District play, with county rival Stonewall Jackson first of back-to-back district road games.
8. Skyline (7) 2-4, 0-1 Northwestern -- The Hawks could use an off-week, but it just isn't going to happen this year with 10 straight games on tap. After losing by three touchdowns to Millbrook in the district opener, Skyline needs to bounce back quickly to face a James Wood team just as desperate for a win.
9. Strasburg (9) 3-3, 0-0 Bull Run -- The Rams headed into their bye week on the high of three straight wins. Strasburg will need to rediscover that momentum this week with solid Bull Run District rival Manassas Park coming to town.
10. Stonewall Jackson (10) 0-5, 0-0 Shenandoah -- The Generals hung tough against a talented Madison County team in their final nondistrict contest, and a rivalry game against Central awaits for the district opener. Still looking for their first win, they shouldn't lack for motivation against the Falcons.