Daily Staff - email@example.com
The Northern Virginia Daily sports staff collaborated to create a basketball top 10 list. Each staffer voted, with 10 points being awarded to the top ranked team, nine to the No. 2 team and so on. Numbers in parenthesis indicate where each team was last week.
1. Millbrook (1) 19-0, 5-0 Northwestern -- Millbrook was tested by Sherando, leading by only 11 points at the half, but still cruised to an 87-57 win. Senior Courtni Green is now averaging over 30 points per game for Millbrook.
2. Stonewall Jackson (2) 14-4, 7-4 Shenandoah -- The Generals lost to district rival Luray, but had an impressive win over Riverheads earlier in the week. Stonewall Jackson has a huge game with second-place Stuarts Draft on Friday.
3. Sherando (3) 12-6, 4-2 Northwestern -- The Warriors battled pretty evenly with Millbrook for a half, before watching the game slip away in the second half. Sherando is still firmly in second place, and a win over third-place Handley on Friday would clinch second for the Warriors.
4. Handley (4) 13-5, 3-3 Northwestern -- The Judges responded from a blowout loss to Millbrook with a solid win over Skyline. The Judges can still get a share of second place, but they will need to beat Sherando on Friday to do it.
5. Central (5) 10-9, 8-3 Bull Run -- The Falcons have won six straight games, including knocking off first-place George Mason, the first district loss for the Mustangs in three years. Central followed up that win by scoring a season-high 75 points in a win over Manassas Park.
6. Skyline (6) 11-6, 0-4 Northwestern -- The Hawks are still searching for their first district win, but the return of Oshene Kelly should help pick the team up. The senior, who missed two weeks with a shoulder injury, had 19 points in her return against Handley.
7. James Wood (7) 9-8, 1-4 Northwestern -- James Wood gave Handley a tough battle before falling by 12. The Colonels responded by defeating Fauquier to move above .500 again.
8. Clarke County (8) 6-13, 5-6 Bull Run -- The Eagles won two of their three games last week, and the only loss was a close one with second-place William Monroe. Clarke County hosts Strasburg on Thursday in a game that could go a long way in deciding district seeding.
9. Strasburg (9) 8-11, 4-7 Bull Run -- Strasburg started this week off with a decisive win over Rappahannock County. The Rams play at Clarke County to end the week, and a win could move them up in the district race.
10. Warren County (10) 7-10, 3-1 Evergreen -- The Wildcats are doing well in the Evergreen District and have another key contest this Friday at Fauquier.