Daily Staff Report - email@example.com
CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. -- Buoyed by a successful Charles Town Classic card, April saw Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races establish a new monthly record for average daily pari-mutuel handle in the near 80-year history of the track, with an average of $1,367,336 wagered per live racing day.
The $1,367,336 all-sources figure shaded the prior record of $1,354,412 per day that was set in April 2012 by 1 percent.
All told, the 18 full, live days held at Charles Town in 2013 produced a total of $24,612,046 in all-sources handle.
"We were able to reach these new heights on the back of the Charles Town Classic's evolving presence as a brand defining event and race of national significance," Charles Town's Vice President of Racing Operations Erich Zimny said in a news release. "Our racing events, headed by the Charles Town Classic, have been a major catalyst -- if not the most significant catalyst -- for our handle growth over the past three or four years."
Average daily handle at Charles Town has increased more than 30 percent since 2009.
The Charles Town Classic on April 20 itself proved to be a record setting pari-mutuel day, with new marks set for the largest handle on a single card in track history with $4,398,984 and on a single race when nearly $1.3 million was wagered on the Charles Town Classic, won by Game on Dude over Clubhouse Ride and Ron the Greek.
All told, the list of new pari-mutuel benchmarks established in April 2013 included:
• Average daily all-sources handle in a month: $1,367,336;
• Average daily export handle in a month: $1,311,108;
• Single card handle: $4,398,984 (April 20);
• Single card export handle: $4,066,108 (April 20);
• Single race handle: $1,286,188 (April 20 -- Race 12);
• Pick 4 pool: $215,491 (April 20 -- Races 10-12);
• Superfecta pool: $86,481 (April 20 -- Race 12);
• Pick 3 pool: $39,878 (April 20 -- Races 10-12).
The next event day at Charles Town won't be held until the Race for the Ribbon is contested on September 21.