Daily Staff Report - email@example.com
Anthony Parillo of Sherborn, Mass., claimed his first victory in the 35th annual Old Dominion 100-Mile Race held June 1-June 2 in Shenandoah County.
Parillo overtook race leader and defending champion Olivier Leblond as they came back over Veach Gap and into Fort Valley in southern Shenandoah County. Parillo led the final leg that stretched over Woodstock Tower before returning through the town of Woodstock to the finish at the county fairgrounds. Parillo's winning time was 17 hours, 42 minutes, 11 seconds.
Nathan Leehman of Charlotte, N.C., finished second in 18:40:47, followed by Arlington's Leblond just seconds later in 18:40.55.
Rounding out the top five overall finishers were Mosi Smith (19:31.19) in fourth and Christopher Moore (20:31.27) in fifth.
Megan Stegenmiller, who finished 14th overall, was the first woman to finish the race. Stegenmiller, from Annandale, finished in 23:31.58.
The race drew 49 runners this year. At the runners' 75-mile point Elizabeth Furnace pavilion, 20 of the 49 failed to make the required check-in time to remain in the race.
Leblond led the 29 remaining to continue over Sherman Gap, as both he and Parillo clocked 12-minute miles before Parillo closed the distance and took over.
In all, 16 runners completed the 100-mile race in the required 24-hour time limit. Six other runners finished within the allotted four-hour extended period.
1. Anthony Parillo (Sherborn, Mass.), 17:42.11
2. Nathan Leehman (Charlotte, N.C.), 18:40.47
3. Olivier Leblond (Arlington), 18:40.55
4. Mosi Smith (Annapolis, Md.), 19:31.19
5. Christopher Moore (Philadelphia), 20:31.27
6. Greg Rosenberg (Salem, Ore.), 21:24.29
7. Kyle Fricke (Henrico), 21:51.46
8. Keith Knipling (Alexandria), 22:39.38
9. Ryan Nebel (Henrico), 22:48.55
10. Anthony Sweitzer (Ashburn), 22:51.25
11. Robert Froehlich (Bedford, Mass.), 23:11.10
12. Robert Drewell (Pomona, Calif.), 23:29.29
13. John Zerbe (San Francisco), 23:29.29
14. Megan Stegemiller (Annandale), 23:31.58
15. Matt Erdman (Morgantown, W.Va.), 23:33.53
16. Horacio Ruiz (Astoria, N.Y.), 23:36.49
17. Sean Connolly (St. Petersburg, Fla.), 26:07.30
18. James Gilmore (Ellicott City, Md.), 27:08.35
19. Shawn Krause (Lutherville, Md.), 27:25.58
20. Jeff Pence (Edinburg), 27:27.54
21. Rush Combs (Raleigh, N.C.), 27:29.24
22. Shannon Scott (Arden, N.C.), 27:32.15